Friday, June 4, 2010

June 4: Secrets Revealed

A girl I work with bumped into me tonight. I responded by telling her not to grind me while on the clock. She of course laughed and I continued the joke. "If you really want to grind me," I teased, "just send a text message later."

I was merely being a goofball with this friendly banter, but upon hearing the last line, her jaw dropped, her eyes became wide with amazement, and she literally stopped in her tracks. "How did you know about that?" she asked.

I didn't have any idea what she was talking about. I assumed from her reaction, that she sent some kind of sexual text message (probably in a state of inebriation) to a mutual friend or colleague. I don't stumble upon scenarios like this very often, but when I do, I continue the dance as long as I can. I play coy and act omniscient when asked questions about my sources to their private information.

As the night continued, the curiosity on her end didn't last for very long. I did, however, pass her talking clandestinely with a male friend and was immediately greeted by suspicious stares from both sets of eyes.

In a matter of five minutes and without saying a word, I discovered something extremely ignominious and humiliating for two individuals. I, of course, don't know the minute details of the situation, but obviously both parties were embarrassed by the surfacing of said information. It makes me wonder what else I could uncover on a daily basis if I were slightly more consciously perceptive of my surroundings.

2 comments:

  1. I remember hearing that initial exchange the other night... Damn, I should pay closer attention to the surrounding conversations...

    ReplyDelete