Monday, June 14, 2010

June 14: Brush, Floss, and Dry Off

One of my favorite parts of the day while growing up was when my sister and I would brush our teeth just before going to bed. Our bathroom counter had two sinks that shared a large mirror and I always enjoyed sharing the time with her.

The act of brushing and flossing one's teeth followed by some gargling is supposed to be a relatively quick routine. For me, however, it always took twice as long as it should have. You see, every single night, I was too preoccupied with trying to make Lindsay laugh to concentrate on getting in and out of the bathroom.

The one night that I will never forget started off like any other. We were both in front of our respected sinks applying toothpaste to our soft-bristled, dentist recommended toothbrushes. We both used gentle, circular motions as I made nonsensical noises and obnoxious faces in the mirror. Lindsay wasn't responding to the usual acts so I was forced to up the ante.

After tossing her used piece of floss in the waste basket, she proceeded to swish her mouth with cinnamon-flavored Act mouthwash. Because of my efforts at making her lose control with laughter, I was still brushing, but the inevitable laugh was waiting for the perfect moment to emerge. That moment came when Lindsay leaned her head back to gargle.

I can't remember what I said or did, but it was the breaking point for my dear sister. As she was gargling, the laughter erupted from within and sent her mouthwash straight up and out of her mouth toward the ceiling. Her instant reflex was to close her mouth and lean forward to spit what was left of the mouthwash into the sink, but as she did this, the cinnamon projectile came crashing down on her back. It was beautiful.

I had a pretty happy childhood, but I will never forget the quality times I spent with my sister while brushing my teeth. Since that fateful night, she has refused to gargle while in my presence and I couldn't be happier to have achieved that level of fear within her.

No comments:

Post a Comment