Sunday, June 27, 2010

June 27: Afraid

What's your biggest fear? Jerry Seinfeld does a funny routine in which he talks about the number one fear in America being that of public speaking. He lets the audience know that speaking in front of a crowd is more terrifying to most people than dying. He finishes his joke by explaining that when people go to a funeral, they would rather be in the casket than giving the eulogy.

I don't have a fear of speaking in front others and I certainly am not afraid of dying. I am, however, terrified of getting a DWI or DUI. I still don't quite know the difference, but I know way too many people that have one or the other and sometimes more than one. I've heard horror stories of getting pulled over for a broken tail light only to have the night end with a trip to jail. I've heard stories of people totaling their cars and ruining their weekends only to be slapped with the charge as the icing on the cake.

It's so easy to get one and I just think that would be one of the worst things that could happen to me. Not only would I have it on my record, but I've heard that you have to pay thousands of dollars in fines and attend classes and so much more. My friends go to bars all the time after work and drink to be social, but I'm so afraid of getting a DUI that I sometimes stay at home.

There have been times where I drove home that I probably shouldn't have, but a lot of people I know make a habit of doing it. I don't know how they can do it time and time again without being afraid at all; not only of getting caught, but hurting someone else too!

Some people are afraid of death. More people are afraid of getting up in front of a crowd, but I'm afraid of getting a DUI with one or two beers in my system. It's not about not being able to maneuver the vehicle anymore. It's about catching a cop on a bad night.

No comments:

Post a Comment