Tuesday, June 22, 2010

June 22: What's Up?

I woke up this morning on the right side of the bed. I heard birds chirping gaily and the sun was casting rays of warmth on my white walls through the parted window shades. I felt alive and well-rested.

My laces were snug, but not too tight for my morning jog and there was a cool breeze coming in from the West. My joints felt good. My feet felt great. The run woke me up and made me feel fantastic.

My morning shower was refreshing and my hair responded well to the product applied. My granola had the perfect amount of crunch to offset the viscous low-fat strawberry yogurt. The banana was ripe, the orange juice was cold, and the flax was fresh.

I won the Home Run Derby that my friends and I held. I made some dazzling plays at short stop and my slider had more cut than usual. The humidity was down and the sun felt great on my bare shoulders. Swimming in the creek after a day in the sun was the perfect finish. My day was perfect until I went to get lunch.

As the girl behind the counter applied spicy mustard to my toasted wheat she casually asked, "So, how has your day been going?" Suddenly, my day was ruined.

I've just accepted the rhetorical greetings, "What's up?" and "How's it going?" They're new ways to say hello. No one actually wants to know what is up or how things are going. But this "how's your day been going" nonsense is a new one. Am I really supposed go into detail about my day to this complete stranger? I don't want to hear about her day so why would she want to hear about mine? Is she asking me to be nice? My idea of a nice response would be to not bore her so I give a one-word answer.

Do me a favor. Don't ask me how my day has been going because I guarantee if I answered truthfully, it would bore you. If you really want to have a conversation with me, ask me something original. Now, why am I still single?

No comments:

Post a Comment