Wednesday, June 23, 2010

June 23: Right On

And while I'm on this little tirade, let me add how much I hate when people don't understand which way to yield when walking.

It's not that difficult. Here in the United States, you drive on the right hand side. When riding a bike, on a designated paved road, you stay to the right. You stay to the right when getting passed, so why can't people comprehend the idea of walking by each other on the right as well?

Here's the situation: I'm walking in a straight line when I notice a person approaching in my direction. I see him and he sees me. As we get closer and closer, I make a slight movement to my right (expecting him to do the same) to allow him room to pass. Oblivious to my gesture, he keeps going straight and we do one of those "I move to my right and he moves to his left and I move to my left and he moves to his right" all at the same time.

I've had people take the initiative (I normally applaud this) and force their way past me on my right (I despise this). How is it not second nature to always walk on the right-hand side? That's the side you drive on and we spend what, one-third of our lives behind the wheel? Or do we spend one-third of our lives sleeping? Either way, we spend a lot of time driving on the right and it should only feel natural to do the same when walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment