Saturday, January 30, 2010

January 30


The alarm sounds bringing you back into the here and now. You desperately try and hang on to the last remnants of the dream you were having, but it's futile. You swing your legs over the edge of your bed and in a groggy state, search the ground with your bare feet for the slippers that you kicked off the night before. You find one and slip it on only to realize that it belongs to the other foot. Your head bobs as you make the correction and search for the other. Once you’ve found both slippers, you slowly stand, stretch your arms, arch your back, and grab your robe that is lying in a heap at the foot of your bed. Your blond, tangled hair hides your half-open eyes as you make your way to the dark bathroom. With your head turned toward the ground, you flick the light switch on, look into the mirror, and I look back.

I have been with you for as long as you can remember. You can still hear the shrill sound of taunt as the other children on the playground laughed and pointed at me. Why your parents never eliminated me, you’ll never know, but now it’s too late. It would be so easy to eradicate me now. You have the money. You have the time. But my absence would ruin you. Your professional days would come to a screeching halt. I was there for your first big scene. Cutting your hair only to realize that it grew right back. How cute you were with me. You’ve grown into such a beautiful young woman; if only you could close your mouth. I am who you are. I am as big a part of you as you are.

I’ve been a cheerleader, a pageant winner, and even a tennis star. I’ve been in blockbusters and made appearances on the red carpet. I’ve grazed billboards and advertisements as big as buildings. I’ve been a part of the tabloids and rumors as you’ve gone through your young life. I’ve had conversations with David Letterman and Conan O’Brien. I’ve shared screen time with Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise. I’ve been intimate with Toby Maguire both professionally and personally.

I am the norm for sharks and alligators, but I am a thing of wonder and confusion for the human race. I am the first thing people notice about you. Thoughts of vampires and mythical creatures dance on the minds of people as they talk to you. You will never make eye contact with others as long as I am here. You tell a joke and everyone laughs. You grin and everyone shutters. I am your snaggle tooth, Kirsten and I am as big a part of you as you are.

1 comment: