Thursday, January 28, 2010

January 28


I had been staring at my computer screen for a half an hour trying to decide what to write about today. I had two tabs open in my Internet browser. One of them was Blogger with an empty text window and a blinking cursor in the upper left-hand side waiting to create an insightful piece of thought. The other tab was my escape to procrastination where I was cycling through my daily websites hoping to find something new and interesting to look at that might give me an idea of what to write about.

One of these websites that I visit on a daily basis is Twitter. I don't tweet because I think blogging is narcissistic enough and I don't need to express my thoughts in 140 characters or fewer. I visit Twitter everyday because I follow other people. MLB Trade Rumors is one that I follow. Other tweets I follow are Jeff Probst of Survivor and Dalton Ross of Entertainment Weekly. I also follow Funny or Die. Occasionally there will be a funny quip or a link to a new video. The latter is what got my attention today.

It was a link to the Funny or Die website with a new video that was posted by Jeff Garlin. You might know Garlin from Curb Your Enthusiasm or Daddy Daycare. The post on Twitter suggested that I see this video which was also written and directed by Garlin. I'm a big Curb fan and I like his character a lot on the show so I thought, why not?

I'm not entirely sure how it works, but I think Funny or Die operates similar to that of YouTube. Anyone can upload a video to the site, but unlike YouTube, viewers then have the ability to vote whether or not the video was funny and should stay posted or if the video should die and be taken down. When I clicked the link, a new page opened up and as the video started to load, I noticed that it was a "Chosen One" on the site which means a viewer has no say in whether or not the video can stay. I think you can still vote, but the voting doesn't actually mean anything like it would if you were voting on a video that wasn't a "chosen one." These particular videos are usually funnier than a normal submitted video. They usually have some kind of celebrity stamp on them as well which makes the quality much better.

The video was titled, "Breakup in a Noisy Diner." The two minute clip was one scene that takes place at a booth in a noisy diner. Clinking glasses and people visiting can be heard very clearly as the actors are going through the scene. Aubrey Plaza (actress from Funny People and Parks and Recreation) played the main character. She looked distraught as she sat to the left of the table and went through the cliches of breaking up with some guy sitting across from her. The co-star looked familiar, but I didn't know who he was or where I had seen him. As the breakup came to a conclusion, another guy sat down next to the first guy and she went through the entire speech again almost word for word. When she finished, the second guy and her just looked at each other and the first guy turned to his left and looked directly into the camera and said, "I'm a ghost" and gave an ear-to-ear grin that he held for the remainder of the video which lasted another thirty seconds.

I get it! The first time that Plaza went through her routine, she was talking to herself and preparing to breakup with the second guy. That's hilarious! Not! This was a "Chosen One?!" The second comment that was left about this clip was, "This is 'Chosen???' Missing the funny here..." so I'm obviously not the only one that couldn't find the humor in this exclusive video. And right there is my complaint for the day!

Just because you are a celebrity and you upload videos to a popular website, does not mean that the video should be excluded from any kind of voting or ridicule. If you make a piece of shit clip, people should have the right to say so and vote it off of the site. The site is called Funny or Die and not Funny and/or Celebrity Endorsed or Die. If it isn't funny, it should die. The video should not stay up if it is not funny.

I like Jeff Garlin's character on Curb Your Enthusiasm. I think he offers a good balance to Larry David's character which, in turn makes the show more enjoyable. I don't think he should be using his celebrity on that show or any other show, for that matter, as a pass to make videos like this. They aren't clever. They aren't funny. They should die.

No comments:

Post a Comment