Tuesday, July 27, 2010

July 27: Persistent Pessimism

Most of my posts are dark and pessimistic views on every day occurrences. Am I apologetic about that? Well, when I first realized the direction my entries had taken, I was a little embarrassed. After all, no one likes a "Debbie Downer" or someone that always has something negative to say. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. Remember that one? But as the days went by and the posts piled up, I began to take pride in my pessimistic views.

I stopped worrying about how my writing was being perceived because I was having more fun on my high horse. It's just more enjoyable to go off on a freak or a situation that I've encountered. Finding the positives in common events is boring and doesn't offer any original thought, but to nag on ridiculous topics is just plain funny.

Being pessimistic in person is a little exhausting, however. A face-to-face conversation is harder to avoid for the person conversing with the pessimist. You can't just walk away in the middle of the interaction. If you don't like my view on the way a traffic light is positioned or my hatred toward movie goers, you can close your browser's window. You don't have to sit there and take it like you might if we were talking in person.

So yeah, 365 Days of Brandon has its dark moments. I don't have a very optimistic view on the homeless, growing old, tip jars, or fat and lazy people. But they sure are funny, aren't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment