Friday, July 2, 2010

July 2: For Your Convenience

You'll never guess what I saw yesterday while at the grocery store. Go ahead. Guess! Give up? I was walking past the dairy wall at the back of the store looking for eggs. In front of the milk display I witnessed an obese woman sitting in an electric shopping cart. You know the carts I'm talking about, don't you? Twist the handlebar forward and the cart crawls at a snail's pace. Twist the handle back and you roll in reverse. On the front of the cart is a little basket to place things in.

What's wrong with that, you ask. A handicapped woman needing a little assistance with her chores. So what? I'll tell you what's wrong with it. I would be willing to bet that this woman isn't handicapped at all. What's her disability? Not being able to say no to candy?

Look, maybe she is handicapped and this post is just an extremely ignorant and insensitive assumption, but my theory is that this lady is too lazy to push a cart so she rides one instead. You know that little basket I was telling you about? Notice how small it is. These carts are for people who can't walk but need to buy a few groceries. They're not for people who eat super-sized Big Mac meals for appetizers. If these carts were intended for our jolly friends, I don't think they would be electric; they would be diesel-powered. They would have two or three baskets instead of the one and I guarantee the little buggies would have more than the lone wheel at the front, but I digress.

The whale of this tale sat there with her basket overflowing before slamming the handlebar into gear. The cart groaned under the beast's weight and made a wide turn away from the milk and straight into the aisle's end display of fun-sized chips. Her front-right bumper clipped the display, but the handlebar didn't let up. The cart kept crawling, the bumper kept pulling/pushing, and the professionally shined floor was instantly covered with salty snack packs.

As the people passed and stared, I did the same. I grabbed my eggs and made my way to the checkouts. If I thought this lady was truly disabled, I might have helped, but because I was so confident of her refusal to walk I left her sitting there with a dumbfounded look on her porky face.

I didn't follow her to her car to see if she had the blue placard and I didn't ask her to stand up. For all I know, she could have been handicapped but this post wouldn't have been nearly as entertaining if she was, now would it?

1 comment:

  1. This really annoys me too. Think about how often I have to see this working where I work! There's an elder man who uses a cane to walk that comes into the studio who was complaining one day about how there weren't any motorized carts left - probably because lazy fatasses took them all!

    ReplyDelete