Wednesday, July 14, 2010

July 14: Home Run Derby

Eight batters, three rounds, and ten outs each. Every year I get super excited for the Home Run Derby during the All Star Break in July, but every year I am reminded how boring the event actually is.

To start, I'm always disappointed in the contestants. I want to see the best of the best launching homers. I want to see Alex Rodriguez and Albert Pujols. Prince Fielder and Ryan Howard. Give me Adam Dunn and Vladimir Guerrero. I don't want to watch Chris Young and Nick Swisher! Those aren't home run hitters.

Watching chumps take batting practice gets really old really fast. I understand that Fox needs to make a television event out of it so they can sell advertising, but I think three rounds is a bit much. Each of the eight batters gets ten outs to hit as many home runs as possible. Then there is a second round of ten more outs followed by a third round of ten more! Watching a guy smash homers is great for about five minutes. After a while, I just watch to hear the commentators talk about the season and interview guests.

The All Star Game on the other hand is fantastic. I love watching a game where everyone on the field is wearing a different jersey. It's fun to watch the managers try and get every member on the team an at-bat. The Home Run Derby, however, is too much. If you have to do it though, I want to see some real power hitters.

No comments:

Post a Comment