Wednesday, July 21, 2010

July 21: Movie Reviews

Despicable Me - A man tries to prove how villainous he can be by coming up with a scheme to steal the moon. I usually don't fall asleep until the third or fourth movie, but I was out before (I assume) he completed his task. The animation looked great and the film makers really took advantage of the 3D format. There was a fun bit during the credits where they stretched the technology to its max. Children of all ages would enjoy this, but I don't think it could entertain the adults like a Pixar film could.

Grown Ups - A group of childhood friends reunites with families of their own. This was Adam Sandler at his most Adam Sandler-esque. All of the Sandler regulars made appearances (even Steve Buscemi) and the entire script was nothing but one liners...one liners that weren't funny, that is. There was everything you would expect from a Happy Madison film from fart jokes to fat jokes but they all just seemed forced.

Inception - A team of experts devise a way to go through people's dreams. If you don't like to think when watching a film, stay as far away from this one as you can. It's really easy to get lost, but if you're able to hang on, it's a really great trip. I don't do very well with accents and there were a lot of them in this one so a second viewing would clear a lot up, but the visuals alone are truly amazing.

Eclipse - I only saw the first thirty minutes of this one because I had to wait for the next movie to start. I haven't read any of the books nor have I seen any of the movies. Thirty minutes of this one was too much as it was. Vampires and werewolves fighting for the attention of a human girl? No thank you. I honestly don't know how those actors take themselves seriously after being in such crap.

Knight and Day - Two groups fight over the possession of a battery that never loses power. This is what a summer movie is all about. Sure it was dumb, but it was fun. Nonstop action and peril. Funny dialogue. Great stunts. Tom Cruise was great and Cameron Diaz looked great. The actors had a lot of chemistry which made the film that much more enjoyable.

Toy Story 3 - I think we all know how I feel about this one. I've now seen it in 3D, IMAX 3D, and traditional 2D and I still get choked up. By far the best movie of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment