Saturday, March 13, 2010

March 14: Hey Y'all!

When I moved to Austin, I was a little disappointed by the lack of regional dialect. Everything I saw on TV suggested that Texas was chock-full of proud cowboys and cowgirls that loved their state. Everything is bigger in Texas, right?

Now, I wasn't exactly expecting to see shoppers at the grocery store wearing spurs and toting lassos and leather chaps. I was hoping to see the sheriff ride into town on his horse, but knew it wasn't very likely, but where was that twang I assumed to find?

After living here for a few months, I have to say that I'm thrilled the drawl isn't more prevalent. I've heard it a few times in the way people order their rainBOW sherbet and prall-ines and it's pretty irritating. I can't really complain about it, though, because I'm on their turf, right? I haven't succumbed to using "y'all" and I refuse to even jokingly use it. I know that by using it in jest will only plant it in my daily vocabulary which would kill me.

How do I know this? I've been using the word "bro" in jest because, you know, I'm from California and that's how everyone talks in Cali! "What's up, bro?" "Thanks, bra!" Yeah. I've been saying it a lot. A LOT. Now, I use it without even meaning to and I'm really getting on my nerves. It's not funny anymore, but I can't help it. So no, I will not use "y'all." I don't want the contraction fraternizing with the rest of my vocabulary.

Because I haven't been exposed to a consistent Texas accent, I have been able to keep my voice. I don't have an accent. It's what you call a non-regional dialect. It's what would make me perfect for the nightly news or the host of my own late night program. The entire country can relate to me easier because my hometown is not easily distinguishable via my accent.

Although my accent (or lack thereof) hasn't suffered because of my new residence, my inner voice's accent hasn't been so fortunate. My inner voice is that voice that I think with. When I read, that's the voice that I hear in my head. There is one particular individual that I know, and after spending seven plus hours with him/her, my inner voice begins to take on his/her very distinctive Texas drawl. It's hard for me to type any examples, but this is the accent that I was expecting to hear from everyone when I came to Austin. It's extremely strong and riddled with those contractions that I love to hate.

Instead of hearing everyone talk with that Southern twang, I get to think it! It's awful. When I check my email at the end of the day, I get the pleasure of reading it with an accent. When I take a shower and I tell my arm to reach for the soap, I use that Southern charm that I don't have. When I fall asleep, it's the voice I hear. I can only hope that he/she goes home calling himself/herself a bro for the remainder of the day.



Listening to Weezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment