Friday, May 7, 2010

May 7: That's Simply Not True!

It's no secret that I'm obsessed with Survivor. I've applied nine times to be on the reality show. I've written multiple posts on the topic. I've seen every episode and I get genuinely upset when an episode is spoiled for me. I avoid certain websites until I've seen the most recent episode and I've been known to shed tears from emotional tribal councils and family reunion scenes.

People are always telling me that I would make a great castoff. I have a natural agility and athleticism that would help me in physical challenges and I'm smart enough to know what's going around me. Although I don't do so well with bug bites, I'm an overall outdoorsy kind of guy so spending 39 days outside wouldn't bother me.

One of my biggest setbacks in being a good survivor, however, is my inability to lie, cheat, and manipulate. Throughout its ten-year run, the show has evolved from one (somewhat) integrity to complete chaos and manipulation. I recently Netflixed the first season and the castaways were completely opposed to creating alliances to remain in the game. Alliances are now crucial for survival. If you aren't a part of one, you're gone. Period.

Being a part of a group isn't the only thing that has changed throughout the years. Contestants are now creating multiple alliances and bouncing back and forth between them. In order to do this, playing a dishonest game is a must. Feelings get hurt and paranoia runs deep throughout the course of each season.

I am fine with all of this. I know it's a part of the game that I love. I believe there is still a way to beat the game when manipulative players are involved. On last night's episode, however, I watched in amazement as one member of a strong three-person alliance made accusations against another to stir more paranoia. The accusations were completely made up and so ruthless that the accused broke down in tears of pure frustration and bewilderment.

As I watched with my mouth open, I tried to imagine what my reaction would be in the same situation. How would I respond if I were a part of what was thought to be such a strong alliance only to be manipulated against for no other reason than to scare other castaways? I know it's a part of the game. I know you have to be cunning and merciless to further yourself, but watching that scene changed the way I fantasized about being involved. Would I be able to sit there and listen to such bold-faced lies about me without breaking down in tears?

I love Survivor. I want nothing more in life right now than to be on the show. I'm confident I would dominate physical challenges. I don't think I would cause any tension at camp. People would keep me around for pure entertainment purposes. The show has a way of creating lifelong friendships, but allowing myself to trust new friends within the game could be my one major downfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment