Thursday, May 6, 2010

May 6: Spot-Free Rinse

Insert card. Remove quickly. One moment please. Do you have a super saver card? No. Do you want to buy a car wash? Yes. Remove nozzle and select grade.

I've never actually purchased a car wash at a gas station, but with my good friend coming into town today, I thought I would wash away the one hour's worth of rain from last week that had left my truck covered with brown water spots. All I was looking for was a cheap rinse and the four dollar option was perfect.

After putting $30 worth of gas into the tank, I entered my truck into "laser-wash" garage and let the touch-free machine do its thing. Before I knew it, and while my truck was still dripping with spot-free rinse, I was being signaled to drive through and go on my way. Apparently, a four-dollar car wash didn't include my favorite part: the high-powered blow dry.

I wasn't worried though. I live a few miles away from the gas station on a straight road. This would be the perfect opportunity for me to rev my engine and dry the vehicle for free. As I pulled out of the station, I put the accelerator to the floor sending my truck speeding down the road.

The needle of the speedometer slowly made its clockwise turn to 20, 30, 40 miles per hour. The standing water on my hood shook and clung to the paint before letting go. The drops on my windshield crawled up the glass before launching off the roof and behind me.

50, 60, 70 miles per hour. This was a lot more fun than sitting still and watching the blue blowers try to pry my windshield wipers off. I was racing around cars to continue my increase in speed; weaving in, out, and around traffic. Pedestrians flew past as they stared in disbelief at my speed.

The needle on the speedometer was nearing 80 miles per hour as my truck spat its excess water on cars we were passing. Just a little longer and my truck would be dry. I was excited to get home so I could inspect my vehicle. Would my theory prove effective?

Street lights zoomed by. Trees were blurred. Just as I was about to slow down to make the left turn on to my residential street, however, I noticed the flashing lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment