Sunday, May 23, 2010

May 23: More Blank Thoughts

I can't tell you how often I sit and simply stare at my monitor. Sometimes I have music playing and sometimes I sit and listen to the sounds of the street outside of my apartment. Occasionally I will browse my favorite websites hoping for some kind of inspiration. I click through web address after web address praying for an idea to come to me.

As the hours tick away and my Blogger canvas remains blank, my creative juices drain away. When this happens, even if I come up with an interesting topic, I don't have the energy to write it in a way that would be fun for a reader. It's one thing to come up with the idea of feeling guilty for eating the same food that two fat people are eating. It's another thing to be able to write it in a unique fashion.

When writing, I find that I have to be in the right mood for certain topics too. Now, I've got three things going against me. I need a topic, a creative way to express the idea, and I have to be in the right mind set to make it happen. I think the latter two kind of go hand in hand, but it isn't something I've given a lot of thought to.

I do know that these nights of blank stares and screens always ends the same. I stare at the computer, browse the web, listen to some music, look at the clock every five minutes, and end up writing about having nothing to write about. I also always end up cursing my decision to force myself to write every day. What was I thinking?

No comments:

Post a Comment