Tuesday, May 18, 2010

May 18: What's in a Name?

About two months ago, I wrote my landlord an email asking him if he would mind if I got a puppy. He quickly wrote back with a defiant no and I've been looking forward to August ever since. I don't know if I'll still be in Austin when my lease expires, but I do know that I want to find a place to raise a new little friend.

Sometimes when I'm sitting by myself, I like to pretend that the little guy is running around. I sometimes call out a prospective name just to see how it would sound. Because I haven't come up with a good name for my nonexistent dog yet, I use this exercise to hear how ridiculous I might sound when screaming the name out in a park.

The problem that I've found is that I can't think of a decent name. I want a name that is representative of my lifestyle and interests. I have recently been watching the entire Seinfeld series in chronological order for no other reason than to find a good dog name. Here is the unabridged list of what I came up with from the show: Kramer, Mickey, Puddy, Bosco, Watley, Cosmo, Bania, Newman, and Reggie (for the coffee shop without the big salad). Some of the names are average at best (Mickey, Watley, maybe Cosmo, and Reggie) while the others are just plain silly.

I've thought about other interests of mine that could inspire a good name, but am still coming up short. I've thought about Marty from Back to the Future and Trevor for the former Padres closer, but nothing seems to click for me. The only thing I love as much as Seinfeld and the Padres is Survivor, but I can't imagine calling my dog Probst.

Alone, I will wait for August to arrive and I will continue my name-test exercise. "Kramer, get off of that!" "Hey, Trevor! Did you miss me?"

1 comment: