Tuesday, February 9, 2010

February 9: Adventure in Austin


Seasoned ground beef, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sour creme, queso, and a flat tostada shell wrapped and grilled in a flour tortilla. The Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supreme with a crunchy taco and a large beverage. Also known as the number 9. The following is the adventure I went through to get myself the delicious meal on this cold Tuesday evening.

My vacation had just ended. I thanked and bid a farewell to my friend who had picked me up at the airport. I watched her tail lights ascend the steep hill of my complex's parking lot before grabbing my duffel bag and unlocking the door to my apartment.

The thermostat read 54 degrees, Fahrenheit as I dropped my carry-on luggage in the entryway. I walked across the room and flicked the heater on without even taking my shoes off like I normally would. I called my mom to let her know that I got home safely and checked my email before grabbing the keys to my truck and heading back out into the cold.

The hot air sent a cloud of gray out of the exhaust pipe as I sat and let the truck warm up. As I let the engine do its thing, I tried to find a radio station to listen to. I have actually never listened to FM radio in my truck since moving here so I didn't know any stations.

After finding an English channel, I backed out of the spot causing the accumulated rain water in the truck's bed to rush out the back and spill over the bumper. As I drove up the parking lot's hill that my friend had just traveled, the water left a trail of wet pavement following my lead. Just as I was about to turn out on to the main road, I had to dodge a red vehicle that was pulling into the lot. Close one!

Because of the lack of lighting along the street and entrance to the local Taco Bell, I nearly missed the opening in the center divide. I would have had to wait at the light to make either a left turn or a U-Turn. Can you imagine what was going through my head?!

I usually get the number five when I visit the popular fast food chain, but I had that one a few days ago so I was in the mood for something different. By the way, the number five is the Nachos Bel Grande, a crispy taco, and a drink. When I pulled up to the drive-thru line, I turned my headlights off in consideration to the driver in front of me because that's just the kind of guy I am. After ordering, he drove along to the window and I moved into his spot next to the giant illuminated menu and order voice box.

It cracks me up how the people inside always assume the driver is ready to order as soon as he or she pulls up to the menu. If we all knew right away, why install a giant menu? So I put her in her place and told her that I needed a minute. When I had decided to go with the number 9, I told the voice box that I was ready to order. I told her that I didn't want any sour creme and I wanted a soft taco instead of the crispy one and a Mountain Dew as my beverage of choice. She inaudibly mumbled something, which I assume was the price, but I didn't ask her to repeat herself. I merely drove to the window to pay and collect my meal.

When I rolled down my window, she stood at the sliding glass window with an empty cup. She had forgotten what kind of soft drink I had requested. "Mountain Dew please," I reminded her. She then turned to the soda machine, filled my cup, put a lid on it, and handed the beverage to me through the window with a wrapped straw on the side. After paying $5.25 (exact change), I waited patiently for my meal. The radio station that I had found was already on a commercial break.

After getting my sack-dinner, I drove back to my complex and parked in the same spot that I had recently vacated. My trail of rain water was still there as I activated the vehicle's alarm and made my way to my apartment. I then sat on my couch, inserted my latest Netflix arrival (Survivor Season 1, Disc 1), and enjoyed an authentic Mexican entree with my favorite TV host.

And now you know the rest of the story. I'm exhausted from a long day of travel and I don't care if you liked this post. I got it in before my midnight deadline and my resolution is still alive. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment