Sunday, April 4, 2010

April 4: The Self-Checkout

I'm on stage and the audience is on the edge of their seats as I press the touch-sensitive screen. How fast can I scan my Raisin Bran Crunch ("Breakfast is Back!") and generic brand of trail mix, enter the produce codes, select the type of payment, decline the coupon option, collect my change and receipt, and walk through the sliding glass doors? The people in the line behind me take notes on how I bag my fruits separately from my frozens. They mentally jot down instructions on where to feed their cash.

Having a game plan before starting is crucial. I have to know which items to scan first so I can bag accordingly. I don't want my grapes crushed by my milk. Scanning the heavier, bulkier items is priority number one. I scan the frozens together so they can keep each other cold in their respected bags. Knowing my basic produce codes saves me precious time; 4011 is the code for bananas in California, Pennsylvania, and Texas. Fun and useless facts is what my head is full of!

The self-checkout is the best way to shop. I can now purchase my items without talking to anyone. People may have lost jobs, but this new technology has saved me hours of standing in lines. I no longer have to worry about dividing my belongings from those of the lady behind me. Now if only the guy in front of me was smarter, I wouldn't have to wait so long to put my self-checkout skills to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment