Wednesday, April 28, 2010

April 28: Let's Vent

If you have ever been a server, you know what it's like to think your night is over just to have one last group of people arrive and expect to be served as if it's the middle of the shift. It sucks when this happens, but you do it anyway.

Tonight, this very thing happened. I had all of my checks closed out and I was in the back doing my final duties before calling it a night when a co-worker informed me that I had been sat. I had to drop what I was doing and give the group of people the rundown of having to order right then and that they would only be able to get one round of drinks.

Fifteen minutes later (now five minutes after the close of the restaurant), I brought them their orders and asked if there was anything else they needed. A very flamboyant man pointed to his empty glass and said, "I need another margarita. Does anyone else want anything before last call?"

I simply laughed and reminded him that last call was fifteen minutes ago; in other words, it was when he sat down. He then threw his hands down in frustration, looked over his shoulder, and asked, "Where is my cousin?"

Apparently, he is cousins with one of the restaurant's owners. He's that guy that has never done anything for the restaurant but happens to be related to someone that has. He never worked there on the weekends or helped seat people on a busy afternoon. He's that guy that goes in because he knows he can get away with things that he couldn't at other restaurants.

After a manager informed me that he was a part of "the family," I served him his margaritas (he was the only one of the group that wanted one) and continued with my closing duties. So not only does he feel entitled to show up ten minutes before the restaurant closes, he can receive drinks when every other guest is being turned down for the same request. On top of that, he paid with a hundred dollar bill!

I know anyone that's reading this doesn't care, but I appreciate you letting me vent. Good night.

1 comment: