Tuesday, April 20, 2010

April 20: Welcome to Wal-Mart

Good morning. Welcome to Wal-Mart.

My black rubber-soled shoes are tightly laced up and tied in a double knot. My red Mickey Mouse shirt is clean and tucked neatly into my blue jeans. My long, black hair is pulled neatly into a French braid. My bright, blue vest is freshly pressed and it proudly displays my yellow smiley face pin over my left breast.

Good morning. Welcome to Wal-Mart.

Steven, from the night crew didn't do a very good job putting away the carts again last night. If he keeps this up, I'm going to have to report him to management. What's so hard about lining up fifty shopping carts? Take a cart and push it into the back of another one until you can't push any more. Repeat. Not only do you have more space for more carts when you do it this way, but it's a direct reflection on our beloved store. It's the first thing the guest sees upon entering.

Good morning. Welcome to Wal-Mart.

The Redbox guy is here with the new releases! This is the best part of my job. I have first pick of the new DVDs. What's he putting in there today? The Lovely Bones? That's the Lord of the Rings guy, right? I wonder if my kids would enjoy that one. I'll have to ask the Redbox guy if he's seen it. He knows so much about movies.

Good morning. Welcome to Wal-Mart.

Is that Ray from Electronics? Oh my God it is! Be cool. Breathe. "Hi, Ray! Welcome to Wal-Mart! Get it?! I'm a greeter! Ok, well I'll see you later!" Whew. Breathe. He really is the greatest. The way he walks in on his cell phone every day. He's really popular and I think he might know my name. Or at least what it starts with.

Hi. Welcome to Wal-Mart. Shoes are straight back and to the left of Electronics.

I remember when I first started and I didn't know where anything was. People would come in and ask where the paper towels were. I didn't know whether to point them towards Household Items or Groceries. I didn't know where Gardening was or how far back Home Office was. I've really come a long way since I joined the staff six months ago. It's hard to believe that I've been a part of the Greeters longer than anyone else. People come and go I guess. I can't afford to give up my Redbox privileges, though.

Hi. Welcome to Wal-Mart.

It's almost lunch time. I love lunch time. It's so great having a McDonald's so close. I usually get the number 2 combo. The simplicity of two cheeseburgers, fries, and a Coke is really satisfying. I think, however, that I will go for the Chicken McNugget meal today. I've totally been craving them all day.

Good afternoon. Welcome to Wal-Mart.

I better get the return gun. "Let me just put this sticker on your item. You can walk around the store first, but make sure you keep the sticker on. When you're ready to make your exchange, the Customer Service counter is right over there."

Good afternoon. Welcome to Wal-Mart.

My feet are killing me. Just one more hour until the shift ends. I've got my new DVD to watch tonight. Another great thing about working here is that I can get my groceries before I go home! I don't have to fight the traffic to get to a grocery store. I'm already here! I've got to get some milk and cereal. Maybe I'll get some microwavable popcorn for the movie tonight too.

Good evening. Welcome to Wal-Mart.

1 comment: