Monday, September 20, 2010

September 20: Trigger Finger

We're nearly ten months in, but 2010 is shaping up to be the worst year of my life. '08 still has the strong advantage, but after some terrific (and I use the word in the most pessimistic and facetious way imaginable) news, '010 is like the Colorado Rockies making for a late season push. On August 3, I was told not to go to work to rest a hurt finger. On August 17, I had that hurt finger repaired and was out of work until September 3. Today, I was I told I have Trigger Finger on that "repaired" finger.

What does that mean? Simply put, the muscles in the forearm are connected to the bones in the hand via tendons. Sheaths attached to the bones keep the tendons in place, and the tendons can then slide through the openings causing the hand to contract into a fist. I don't know if it was a result of my surgery or something else, but the tendon in my left pinky has become inflamed causing it to get caught on the sheath before snapping through. Once diagnosed with Trigger Finger, it doesn't go away. The more conservative approach to an injury like this is to make a splint for the finger to limit the use of that tendon and hope for the inflammation to subside. The more extreme measure is surgery.

Yeah, that's what I need. I work in an industry where my wage can change from day to day depending on my placement by management. If I keep taking time off in full month increments, why would a manager place me in a section where I have the ability to make a decent living? Why wouldn't they want to put me in sections that would make me want to quit and have someone else pick up my problems?

From the outside, I look fine. Aside from a little scar from my previous surgery, there is no sign of pain or discomfort. I look like a complete wimp if I have to keep going in for expensive surgeries at the cost of my employer. "Owie! My pinky hurts. I can't work."

I want this issue to just go away. I cut my hand on a small piece of glass. It's supposed to heal right away and let me get back to swinging baseball bats and golf clubs. I want to row and lift weights. Instead, I'm stuck wincing as I reach for the Q on the keyboard.

1 comment:

  1. I know the feeling. I have trigger finger on the ring finger of my left hand and I'm a computer programmer. I doubt my employer will be too thrilled if I have to take a month off because I can't type.

    ReplyDelete