Sunday, August 8, 2010

August 8: Movie Reviews

Dinner for Schmucks - A group of business men invite unusual guests to a dinner party. The most unique guest wins the trophy. He is also given the prestigious title of biggest idiot behind his back. I have never experienced such a strong love/hate relationship with a film before. I hated this movie. The story was unbelievably unbelievable. I hate Paul Rudd as the straight man. Rudd is at his best win he plays the sarcastic man/boy that isn't blinded by love (Anchorman, Knocked Up and Role Models) which was not the case for this role. I don't think his character did one interesting thing. This film was supposed to be the reuniting of funnymen Rudd and Steve Carell and Carell was the only funny thing about this reunion. In fact, it Carell was the only thing I liked about Schmucks; and I loved him. Every tiny nuance small remark was pure hilarity. Every moment his face appeared on the screen, I was holding my sides and laughing uncontrollably. Was his character well-written? No. Not at all, but because Carell is such a comic genius I didn't care. I simply enjoyed his antics. How can I recommend a movie that I loathed so much? Two words: Steve Carell.

The Other Guys - There are the badass cops that tackle the criminals with car chases and shoot outs and there's the captain of the squad and a few up and comers. Then there are the other guys. Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg play the sit-down cops that do the paperwork for the bigwigs. Wahlberg was once on his way to the top before he mistakenly shot a New York celebrity giving himself the title of the Yankee Clipper. Ferrell works behind a desk hiding from a scarred past. I don't know. I couldn't get into this one. Don't get me wrong. I love when Ferrell and director Adam McKay get together. I loved Anchorman and Talladega Nights. I love their online videos too but like Rudd, when Ferrell plays a real person, his movies just aren't that funny. Couple that with Wahlberg and the movie doesn't have a chance. Keanu Reeves gets a bad rapt because Wahlberg is by far the worst famous actor ever. He was decent in The Departed but sucks in everything else. The Happening would have been so much better if they had cast anyone other than him as the lead. So when you take these two components and throw in a few old jokes, you're going to get a lame movie. Again, it had its moments but was nowhere near the hilarity and quotability of previous Ferrell/McKay projects.

Inception - Today was the second viewing for me. I was blown away by the visuals the first go around and the ability to piece together the story this round made for one heck of an experience. I had seen this before but felt like I was experiencing it for the first time throughout the entire film today. Without the distraction of drugs, how often can one say that about a film? If you've only seen Inception once, you were probably left with the feeling of, "I should probably see that again." Follow that feeling. Trust me. Inception has the action and the romance. It tugs at the emotional strings and massages the brain at the same time. I can't say it enough. This film was so much better the second time. Simply brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment