Sunday, August 22, 2010

August 22: The Muppet Show

Last weekend I decided to take a last minute road trip to Denver to experience Rockies baseball in Coors Field. If you know me at all, you know that I've recently become absolutely obsessed with touring Major League ballparks throughout the country. The original plan was to drive the three and a half hours to Arlington and back but due to a friend's change of plans, I was now going solo and I decided to just keep venturing North after the game. Because I lack the basic understanding that a distance on Google Maps is quite different than the actual distance, I purchased my ticket for the Rockies' game for the very next night. 787 miles in 19 hours without any sleep or rotating drivers? No problem. My post today, however, isn't necessarily about my trip, but more about stirring up old memories.

When I was a kid, my parents bought me a Fisher Price turntable to expose me to the wonders of great music. I had the vinyls of Endless Summer by The Beach Boys and Peter, Paul, and Mommy by Peter, Paul, and Mary. It wasn't uncommon to walk by my room on a Saturday afternoon, and hear me jamming to Raffi, but my favorite record had to be The Muppet Show by the Jim Henson gang. I can still remember lying on my stomach, kicking my feet up behind me singing backup to Wild Thing's "Mahna, Mahna."

Years later when Napster came around, I did everything I could to bring back those memories in digital form. I couldn't find the entire Muppet album, but I was able to find a few favorites. Fast forward to my trip to Denver and I found myself rockin' out to the likes of "Mr. Bassman," "Being Green," and of course "Mahna, Mahna." In my extreme attempts at staying awake while out on the open road, I was thoroughly enjoying my nostalgic throwback; So much so, that I made a mental note to pursue my digital hunt once again upon the completion of my trip.

Through the magic of the Internet and the sheer boredom of having to sit at home without anything better to do, today I found it. The entire The Muppet Show album and its sequel in their entirety. Great quality and fantastic entertainment. Memories have been streaming endlessly for the past hour or so. Remember "Gonzo Eats a Rubber Tire to 'Flight of the Bumblebee?'" How about "Lydia the Tattooed Lady?" I thought these songs were great when I was a tyke but there I was at 27-years-old on the verge of tears from "Halfway Down the Stairs" by Kermit's lovable nephew Robin!

I knew I liked the Muppets. I love the 3D show at Disney's California Adventure and I can do a pretty darn good impression of "Being Green" and of Ms. Piggy screaming, "Kerrrmieee!" but until today I never realized how much I love the entire cast. I haven't seen the movies in years, but now it's my mission to re-familiarize myself with them. I knew Hollywood was in the process of making another Muppets film and now I can say that I am officially looking forward to seeing it.

It's funny what a little road trip will bring. Here I thought I would simply bring home a few pictures and two more souvenir ballpark shot glasses. Will I listen to these hilarious albums over and over? Probably not. But now I have them for my next rambunctious mood to sing along with and to remember laughing at that ridiculous Fozzie Bear and his stand-up comedy.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the muppets! visited jim henson studios not too long ago, really wish that he hadn't passed away so young. the muppet show was the best.

    ReplyDelete