Thursday, August 26, 2010

August 26: Dexter

Everyone said I should watch Weeds. I couldn't get through the second episode. People everywhere have told me how much I would like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, but when all the dialogue is delivered by yelling and shouting, it can cause quite a headache. Up until last week, The Office was the only recommended show that I really got into.

The day after I finally gave in (which wasn't until the penultimate episode of the third season) to my friend's request, I went out and purchased the entire DVD collection. There are very few television shows that are easy to get introduced to mid-run. It makes it even more difficult when the show is an hour-long drama. Who has the time and energy?

Somehow the topic of conversation with the anaesthesiologist last week while waiting to go into surgery turned to Dexter. One minute he's telling me that he's going to be the one to knock me out and the next he's recommending a TV show about a serial killer. I don't get it, but that's not the point. I had heard of the show, but I didn't know any more than the basic premise and I never had any intentions of watching it.

It has been nine days since I pressed play on the first episode of the first season. Three and a half seasons, twelve episodes per season, and a total of forty-two hours later, I can officially say I'm hooked. This show is absolutely fantastic and if you enjoy a good mystery thrill ride, you should definitely check it out.

Michael C. Hall plays the role of Dexter who, as a child, witnesses the barbaric murder of his mother and as a defense mechanism, grows into a man who is emotionally paralyzed with a dark hunger. Because the life of his mother was stripped away from him, he thirsts for the life of others. Adopted by the cop that finds him, Dexter is raised to go through life while making the best of his addiction with a certain "code" to follow.

Dexter is gory and brutal. It's vulgar and raunchy. As I watch upwards of four episodes per sitting, I find myself emotionally invested in every aspect and side-story of this show about a serial killer that can't feel any emotion at all. I don't want to tell you what to do with your free time, but watching this drama should be at the top of your list of priorities.

1 comment:

  1. yes! i love that you got into this show too! i might order showtime just for the time its on so that i can watch it and you are welcomed to come over and watch it with me!

    ReplyDelete