Tuesday, November 23, 2010

November 23: Movie Reviews

Red - Four former CIA agents labeled as "Retired and Extremely Dangerous" fight an agency trying to kill them. That's about all I could figure out. I've never been any good at following espionage thrillers and this movie was no different. I loved the action, though. It was so over the top that it was entertaining. It was also fun watching Bruce Willis, Helen Mirren, and John Malkovich complain about being old while welding firearms.

Megamind - Another all-star cast for another ho-hum Dreamworks Animation flick. Will Ferrell, Brad Pitt, Tina Fey, and Jonah Hill all lend their voices to this film about an evil mastermind that successfully overthrows the city's superhero only to find that being the one in charge isn't as cool as he had imagined. I saw this one in "eye-popping 3D" and just like any other non-Pixar 3D animated film, it possessed scenes to take advantage of an audience wearing glasses just to show off the technology but not to add to the story. There were some funny bits, but I felt like it was an hour and thirty-six minutes of being yelled at by Ferrell.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 - I thoroughly enjoyed the last film in the Harry Potter series. I had never been a fan of the movies because I am so familiar with the books, but for some reason the sixth movie was quite good. When I went home for six weeks, I re-read the seventh and final book in the series in preparation of the new film and after sitting through it today, I now realize why I liked the sixth movie so much. I wasn't as familiar with it and I couldn't pinpoint the omissions and changes the filmmakers had made. With that being said, I was a bit disappointed in this film. Adapting the book into a decent movie would be extremely difficult so I suppose I can exercise some forgiveness, but at times I felt like they rushed parts and dragged others out. I felt like there were way too many scenes of just sitting around and the action scenes were over in the blink of an eye. I do, however, like the way they ended this one and left the audience on edge for the next one in July.

Due Date - Two opposites journey across the United States with each other and must do so in time for the arrival of one's newborn child. This was the first film from director Todd Philips since 2009's hugely successful The Hangover and in a way, it almost felt as though he had run out of ideas. Does anyone remember Road Trip? This was that movie, but with a different story. The film definitely had its moments of hilarity and Robert Downey Jr. and Zach Galifianakis were great together, but there were also other parts that were so unbelievable that they jerked the audience right out of it. A marijuana pipe is found in a guy's luggage and the only thing that happens is the security guard drops a few expletives and let's him go? C'mon!

Hereafter - I didn't originally have any desire to see this one, but because it started right after Due Date, I thought I would give it a go and it ended up being my favorite of the day. Three stories revolving around death are told through the eyes of legendary actor/filmmaker Clint Eastwood in a very emotional and moving film starring Matt Damon. If you can get past the quick dialogue and rapid subtitles of the French scenes, then I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment