Saturday, November 20, 2010

November 20: Crazy

Today's post is a bit of a piggy back to yesterday's. An interesting theory was brought to my attention yesterday when discussing friends of friends. I don't remember the context of the conversation, but the topic of a mutual friend surfaced. From there, we found ourselves talking about the people we had met through our acquaintance and how each of these people were completely and utterly crazy. The guy I was talking to about all of this then asked if I thought that our mutual friend would come across as being as crazy as the third party if we had met him/her in the same context.

By trying to keep everyone's identity a secret, I'm beginning to realize this may be getting a bit confusing. I'm talking to Joe. Joe and I are friends with Gary. Gary is friends with Sally and Mary. Joe and I have only met Sally and Mary while downtown with Gary when everyone was a bit intoxicated. Because these are the only circumstances in which we've spent time with Sally and Mary, Joe and I have come to the conclusion that they are crazy. Now Joe is asking if we would make the same judgment on Gary if we only hung out with him once or twice downtown while intoxicated. Get it?

It's an interesting theory. Joe is probably right. I would probably think a lot less of Gary if I had met him the same way I met Sally and Mary. People act differently when under the influence of alcohol and it probably isn't fair to judge their sober character on one or two outings. On the other hand, alcohol can really shed light on a person's true self. I could be really attracted to a girl when she's sober, but when she gets drunk and sleeps around, I immediately disregard her. You can't blame alcohol on a person's sluttiness.

Maybe Sally and Mary really are crazy and so is Gary. After all, people tend to hang out with people they are similar to. If that's the case, does that mean Joe and I are crazy too? We're hanging out with Gary. He's hanging out with Sally and Mary. One way of defining the word "crazy" is to say unique or out of the ordinary. To be different means that you would not be similar to anyone in any one vicinity. With that being said, maybe no one is crazy. We all may be unique in our own ways, but crazy?

The reason this post can piggy back yesterday's is because I'm noticing things about people that they may not know about themselves or their friends for that matter. Sally and Mary probably wouldn't label themselves as crazy and neither would Gary. But as an outsider to their group of friends, I'm able to look past their blind spots of each other. It is an interesting thing to think about, however. Is Gary just as crazy as Sally and Mary? Am I? Now I'm just confusing myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment