Saturday, October 9, 2010

October 9: Keep In Touch

Every year the San Diego Zoo holds a walk-a-thon type benefit to raise money for animal conservation with the focus on a different species each year. In its fifth year, the elephant herds were the main stars of today's event. Each registered guest is granted access to the park hours before it's opened to the public. In addition to a tour through the recently added "Elephant Odyssey," walkers are treated to a designated course along the enclosures of koalas, vultures, bears, meerkats, lions, and more. There are giveaways from sponsors and live music throughout the three mile walk. Being the animal lover that she is, my mom has attended all but one of the annual events. Because this was the first time I've been home at this time of year, I decided to accompany her and see what all the fuss was about.

After picking up the number she was required to pin to her shirt for the walk, we made our way to a few sponsors' tents while waiting for the event to begin. Wouldn't you know that the first tent we approached was being run by an old friend of mine. A friend I hadn't seen since high school; over nine years ago. We exchanged greetings and hugs and she told me of her life as a mother and wife before my own mother and I made our way to the starting line.

I've never been a fan of small talk, but it was still good to see someone from my past. I spent, at most, five minutes exchanging pleasantries, but the encounter had me thinking about my high school days. When I came home, I rummaged through some of my old things and found the pageant from my senior year and was taken back to the "good old days."

Facebook may have taken away a lot of the magic of a high school reunion, but flipping through the pages of time was quite refreshing. Aside from the pasty-faced, greasy haired punk in the R section that stared back at me, it was fun being reminded what everyone looked like. Because of the social network, I know what everyone looks like today, but I had forgotten about those awkward teenage years they went through.

As fun as the pictures were to look at, the real joy of this afternoon was re-reading the little notes that my friends of yesteryear left on the first and last pages of the annual. I wasn't depressed by any means when I started, but if I had been, the compliments left would have easily lifted my spirits. For the most part, everyone leaves the same comment. "This year was great. KIT (Keep in touch)." Scattered amongst the unoriginals, however, were sincere notes of friendship and the unknowns that lie ahead. I had notes complimenting me on the talents I possessed in the theatre and how "funny" I was. People wrote how they knew I would succeed in life because of my ability to remain true to myself.

I am not one that takes compliments very well, so I am always questioning them. I don't know whether or not these old friends meant what they wrote or if they felt obligated to write something and were just blowing smoke at me. Either way, when I closed the book, I felt a sense of pride in myself. It was nice to receive such praise and to think that it all spurred from a chance encounter at the world famous San Diego Zoo. For those times when you feel down on your luck, let me recommend your high school yearbook.

1 comment:

  1. As a high school friend, let me say you were always an original -- a valuable trait, especially in high school when no one knows who he or she is. Haven't seen you since 1999, but loks like it has held since back then.

    ReplyDelete