Monday, November 2, 2009

Was That Me?

Sitting in an empty apartment in a city where you don't know anyone will cause a person to participate in deep soul searching. My self-reflecting comes in the form of looking up people from my past on Facebook.

Tonight I was looking up people from my graduating class in high school when I realized what a prick I was in high school. Maybe you've had this realization too.

I was contemplating asking a few people to be my Facebook friend so that any future Facebook friend that I make will see how many other Facebook friends I have and either think, "Wow, this guy adds everyone he knows" or "Wow, Brandon is a really popular guy in the cyber world."

As I was going through the list of faces that I haven't thought about or seen in eight years, I would come across someone that I couldn't remember why we weren't as good of friends in our senior year as we were in our freshman year.

My first thought was that I was a complete jerk to that person and I would have second thoughts about requesting to be his or her Facebook friend. What if he or she logs in and gets the notice that Brandon Paul Roesler has requested to be his or her friend and remembers what an ass I was?

I know that if I received a friend request from some of the people that I saw, I would think that same thought. I would rather not be reminded that some of these people exist or ever had anything to do with my adolescence.

Because I have these thoughts about some of the people on that list of Granite Hills 2001 graduates, I wonder if any of them have similar thoughts about me. I hope not, but if you do and you're reading this, know that I'm sorry. Looking back, I now realize that I didn't have any right to say or do anything that might hurt anyone and it really pains me to think that I might have.

No comments:

Post a Comment