Wednesday, September 23, 2009

You Should Blog That

I first heard of a blog when Myspace was at its creative and popular height. I was probably a Junior in college and the last thing I wanted to do was write essays in my spare time on a social networking site. I preferred cyber-stalking girls and pretending that I was cool enough to be able to talk to them. I didn't want people entering my head and learning what made me tick.

As a result of this hatred towards blogs, I did what I do with everything that I am against. I turned it into a joke. When someone at work or school started telling me a long, drawn-out story about something I didn't care about, I would interrupt them with, "You should blog that." It was a line that received a quick laugh (however awkward and forced) and it made me feel instantly better about putting someone in his or her place. It also, however, led to a decline in the number of my social invites and interactions, but I digress.

I am now 26-years-old and have been out of school for over four years and I find myself in the shadows of the popularity of none other than the blog. How did I end up falling victim of my own punchline? I wish I could give some enlightened reason for joining this madness, but I can't. I'm constantly finding myself yearning to write down my daily thoughts and I can't do it in the 140 characters or fewer that Twitter has to offer.

I don't know how long these blogs will last, but I'm here to try it out. I don't know who will read these, and frankly, I don't really care. It will probably be for the best if no one reads at all because I will inevitably offend someone. I have an extremely politically incorrect way of thinking but because of my natural desire to not want to offend anyone, I find myself holding back. This is my promise to you, readers: I will not hold anything back!

If you've made it this far, I congratulate you and pity you at the same time. I'm looking forward to this new adventure in narcissism and I hope you enjoy it because I know I wouldn't. I welcome any and all comments you have, but if you have an entire story that you want to relate to one of my posts, maybe you should blog it!

2 comments:

  1. As long as you never apologize for not writing more I will be totally ok with reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should blog about having to blog about succumbing to blogging.

    ReplyDelete